Rides to the Yukon

digitalmoto

Lack of sleep does strange things to my brain.
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
428
Location
Hillsboro, OR
rem said:
In Yukon, I wouldn't worry too much about your speed. I don't know about B. C. Your biggest hazard up north will be wildlife and other drivers. Both are pretty stupid. ::008:: R
Not to rain on everyones parade, but BC has really clamped down on speeders. http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2010/10/26/the-40kmh-solution/ If you get caught doing 40 over, they impound your bike. And since most of us from South of the Border are not used to the slower speed limits that are common in BC... Keep it in mind. I'd recommend swapping your dash settings before you leave the border crossing area. When in odo mode, press and hold the left button for a few seconds to switch to km. I haven't heard about any repeal. I'll double check with two officers that I know in BC.

Border crossings can be a pain. Make sure you bring your passport. A drivers license isn't enough and hasn't been for years. I bought a Nexus pass several years ago which allows me to cross in minutes instead of queueing with everyone else. It's $50 and a lot of paperwork plus a trip to a government office for finger printing, photos and possibly a retinal scan. (Not kidding about the scan.) It's offered at Vancouver Airport.
Double bonus, the card will get me through airport security without the usual bullshit: shoes/liquids/laptop. You have to register with your preferred airline's miles account.
http://getnexus.com/

I'm heading up around June 8th - 10th depending on when I can escape. I'm doing Inuvik/Alaska first then coming straight back after the rally ends. The high points: Portland, Hyder, Telegraph Creek, Whitehorse, Inuvik, Fairbanks, Denali, Kenai, back to Whitehorse for the rally week, then home. I'm due back at work on July 16th.
I have tent, AmEx, and MedJet Assist coverage with motorcycle extraction add-on. http://medjetassist.com/membership/motorcycleprotection.aspx What else do I need? (My wife says "a brain" becuase I have to be insane to be doing this. ???
 

rem

A man who don't lie, ain't got nothin' to say.
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
4,496
Location
Yukon Territory, Canada
What else do I need?

Potent bug dope. Hey, we currently show 30 confirmed for this event. Mighty fine. R ::008:: ::008::
 

digitalmoto

Lack of sleep does strange things to my brain.
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
Joined
Apr 27, 2011
Messages
428
Location
Hillsboro, OR
rem said:
Potent bug dope. Hey, we currently show 30 confirmed for this event. Mighty fine. R ::008:: ::008::
30 bugs? ???
 

SuperTen

Member
Founding Member
2013 Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
171
Location
Jackson, NJ
Guys


I'm coming from the east coast but once I reach Edmonton, am I better off going north on 43 to Dawson Creek?

or

Going west on 16 towards Hinton and then follow 40 north to Grand Cache and then continue on 40 north until Grande Prairie where I pick up 43 again towards Dawson Creek?

Which one is more scenic? ;)

Thanks :)
 

3putt

2012 Yukon Rally attendee
Founding Member
2012 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 17, 2010
Messages
1,126
Location
Bossier City, La.
Bullett said:
So far both systems are working. . . so that's a yes.
I was gonna toss mine for less stuff to worry about bringing home, may have to rethink, might get lonely up there and may feel a need to talk.

update: After studying my maps, and "milepost", plan on joining the bunch heading up the "Western Access". Probably leave around 6/23 and bust off some big mile days for the first 3 or 4 days before I slow to smelling the roses speed.

We are getting pretty close, may be time to start an excited chatter thread, then a departure thread. Be fun to watch the checkins and riders positions as they progress northward.
 

Bappo

Bappo
Joined
Aug 30, 2011
Messages
201
Location
Idaho Falls, Potato
For those of you in the know, Is it easy to find hammock capable camping spots along the route? Up to Calgary, Banff, Icefields Parkway, west and then up the Cassier towards the Trollish Remland? Random dirt roads in woods and along streams works. Maybe better as long as I don't get eaten or tent campgrounds of course.

Thanks in advance! Soon ::015::
 

troll

New Member
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
862
Location
Frozen wastelands of the barren north ( NW Canada
Bappo said:
For those of you in the know, Is it easy to find hammock capable camping spots along the route? Up to Calgary, Banff, Icefields Parkway, west and then up the Cassier towards the Trollish Remland? Random dirt roads in woods and along streams works. Maybe better as long as I don't get eaten or tent campgrounds of course.

Thanks in advance! Soon ::015::
I think most of your route will have forested areas that are pretty accessible, not to sure about hammock camping specifically.
 

limey

Well-Known Member
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 13, 2010
Messages
1,911
Location
Bowmanville Canada
Monday started of with sun, not so good that night first time putting up a tent in the poring rain, Black flies and Mosquitoes. Paid 38 bloody dollars for a camp site at one of our Provincial Parks. Last night I did the Motel thing ($35) to dry out my stuff. North East of Thunder Bay right now. Maybe head for Waterton Lakes National Park. This is my SPOT LINK http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=8JZ7a/49.67607N/87.58072W
Ride safe guys.
Paul ::001::
 

colorider

Moderator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 25, 2010
Messages
5,442
Location
Sidney, NE
Damn, more for a tent site than a motel? Why am I bringing my camping gear???

::024::
 

Koinz

Active Member
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Nov 13, 2010
Messages
2,100
Location
Newtown, PA
limey said:
Monday started of with sun, not so good that night first time putting up a tent in the poring rain, Black flies and Mosquitoes. Paid 38 bloody dollars for a camp site at one of our Provincial Parks. Last night I did the Motel thing ($35) to dry out my stuff. North East of Thunder Bay right now. Maybe head for Waterton Lakes National Park. This is my SPOT LINK http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=8JZ7a/49.67607N/87.58072W
Ride safe guys.
Paul ::001::
Sure are a lot of lakes along your route. Must be nice. Take lots of pictures.
 

SuperTen

Member
Founding Member
2013 Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
171
Location
Jackson, NJ
limey said:
Monday started of with sun, not so good that night first time putting up a tent in the poring rain, Black flies and Mosquitoes. Paid 38 bloody dollars for a camp site at one of our Provincial Parks. Last night I did the Motel thing ($35) to dry out my stuff. North East of Thunder Bay right now. Maybe head for Waterton Lakes National Park. This is my SPOT LINK http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=8JZ7a/49.67607N/87.58072W
Ride safe guys.
Paul ::001::
That sucks having to setup camp in the rain :(

You only north East of Thunder Bay? I might still catch up with you ;D

My bike is ready and I will hit the road tomorrow at 5am.
I'm heading around Chicago and then go north towards Cameron in Wisconsin.

Here's my spot, not active yet but will be tomorrow ;D
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0G398ceqvDVSbNKRyE7KquBG9sdSqtayR

 

rem

A man who don't lie, ain't got nothin' to say.
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
4,496
Location
Yukon Territory, Canada
That's a nice looking rig. Looks a lot like mine did until yesterday afternoon, when we hit the fresh calcium. Yukky puke. Just finished cleaning it all up. R
 

Attachments

tomatocity

Active Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
5,251
Location
Sacramento, CA USA
Rem have you ridden the South Canol Road recently?

In the picture I see a pole with many signs. Do you have a picture of it?
 

rem

A man who don't lie, ain't got nothin' to say.
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
4,496
Location
Yukon Territory, Canada
tomatocity said:
Rem have you ridden the South Canol Road recently?

In the picture I see a pole with many signs. Do you have a picture of it?

No. We were going to do that yesterday/today, but the road is still closed. We did Keno instead.
 

Attachments

rem

A man who don't lie, ain't got nothin' to say.
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
4,496
Location
Yukon Territory, Canada
You Day-yam right we did. It were mighty fine. Two beers and a pizza. ::008:: ::008:: R
 

Twitch

New Member
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 31, 2010
Messages
1,173
Location
Tampa Area
Glad to see more folks hitting the road! So far, I've made it up to near Minneapolis where I stopped due to lightning. Other than that, it's been clear sailing. I took a day off Tuesday in Hannibal, Missouri to take in a little American History (Mark Twain's boyhood home); had a great time. I've got my camping gear, but am staying in budget hotels until camping becomes an absolute necessity. So far I've added Illinois, Missouri, Iowa and Minnesota to my States Traveled map. Iowa is as flat as Florida...and windy! They had some of those windmill farms there. Trust me, good place for them. Today I'm heading to Minot, North Dakota (the half-way point of this trek up to Whitehorse) then crossing the border Friday in Portal, North Dakota. Safe travels everyone!

 

colorider

Moderator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
Joined
Sep 25, 2010
Messages
5,442
Location
Sidney, NE
Twitch said:
Glad to see more folks hitting the road! So far, I've made it up to near Minneapolis where I stopped due to lightning. Other than that, it's been clear sailing. I took a day off Tuesday in Hannibal, Missouri to take in a little American History (Mark Twain's boyhood home); had a great time. I've got my camping gear, but am staying in budget hotels until camping becomes an absolute necessity. So far I've added Illinois, Missouri, Iowa and Minnesota to my States Traveled map. Iowa is as flat as Florida...and windy! They had some of those windmill farms there. Trust me, good place for them. Today I'm heading to Minot, North Dakota (the half-way point of this trek up to Whitehorse) then crossing the border Friday in Portal, North Dakota. Safe travels everyone!
Nice update! One of these days I need to make a trip to North Dakota as it is the only state I have never been in. Maybe the simple thing to do is just head a bit east on my way home from the Yukon Rally and finally pick it up.

I'm rolling out of here Sunday morning...........

::26::
 
Top