Question about the TC

varacost

New Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2011
Messages
56
Location
Panamá City, Panamá, Central América
A couple of days ago I went on a gravel road and set the traction control to 2 and it worked fine, stopped the bike and when restarted it the TC was back on 1. I tried several times and it always returned to 1, Is this normal? Is there a way to set it on 2 without it going back to 1 when you stop the motor? Thanks for the info.
 

avc8130

Active Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
3,269
Location
North NJ
varacost said:
A couple of days ago I went on a gravel road and set the traction control to 2 and it worked fine, stopped the bike and when restarted it the TC was back on 1. I tried several times and it always returned to 1, Is this normal? Is there a way to set it on 2 without it going back to 1 when you stop the motor? Thanks for the info.
Yup, normal. No way to alleviate that...yet.

ac
 

rem

A man who don't lie, ain't got nothin' to say.
Founding Member
2011 Site Supporter
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
4,496
Location
Yukon Territory, Canada
As I recall (remember, I'm old), when you shut the bike off, the TC reverts to TC1 as a default. This is a liability thing, in case you forgot you had put it in TC 2 or turned it off altogether, and were starting out again in slick conditions. You can always relax it, but you may have wished you had started off in TC1 if you had gone from dry to slippery conditions. Legal stuff I reckon. Works for me. R ::022::
 

snakebitten

Well-Known Member
2012 Site Supporter
2013 Site Supporter
2014 Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 6, 2011
Messages
5,681
Location
Coastal Texas
I feed the family and send the rebellious spawn to college by keeping a global network up and running.

The gnashing of teeth over this "inconvenience" has, at times, revealed that same human trait we see daily if some change requires an extra mouse click.

My irritation isn't with Yamaha. It's with myself when I forget that it has returned to TC1. Fortunately, I'm so used to the bike I can feel TC1 off-road almost immediately.
 

MidlifeMotor

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
370
Location
Mesa, AZ
snakebitten said:
I feed the family and send the rebellious spawn to college by keeping a global network up and running.

The gnashing of teeth over this "inconvenience" has, at times, revealed that same human trait we see daily if some change requires an extra mouse click.

My irritation isn't with Yamaha. It's with myself when I forget that it has returned to TC1. Fortunately, I'm so used to the bike I can feel TC1 off-road almost immediately.
Yamaha should have realized most of these bikes would be sold to me over 40 years old who can't remember anything. They could have at least put a "beep" sound to remind us we last rode in TC2 mode :))
 

avc8130

Active Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
3,269
Location
North NJ
Meh. I'd rather the bike remain in the mode I last left it.

I came from 150hp sport bikes with NO traction control. I don't see why I NEED it in the most restrictive mode on a 100hp bike each and every time I ride.

ac
 

klunsford

Enjoy the Ride!
2013 Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 28, 2012
Messages
1,706
Location
Ok City, OK
I agree about the liabilities, but that 150 hp bike wasn't on dirt, gravel or rocks and such... Hey Just saying.... I'm in the over 40 crowd and can't remember anyway... ::025:: ::025::
 

avc8130

Active Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
3,269
Location
North NJ
RoboCop said:
I agree about the liabilities, but that 150 hp bike wasn't on dirt, gravel or rocks and such... Hey Just saying.... I'm in the over 40 crowd and can't remember anyway... ::025:: ::025::
Any time I have had my bike on dirt or gravel, TCS1 has been a liability. TCS2 or off was necessary to negotiate the terrain safely.

ac
 

avc8130

Active Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2012
Messages
3,269
Location
North NJ
snakebitten said:
Still though, it's just a mouse click. ::26::
Sort of.

What I don't like is that I can't hold the clutch and brake and get to the switch. I've been in a muddy spot in first gear on a slope. I needed to hold the clutch, brake AND keep my left foot down. However, the bike wouldn't move because the rear tire needed to spin but the TC wouldn't let it.

It was annoying. If it just stayed in TCS2 I wouldn't have had that stupid moment.

I'm a big boy, I can deal with it...I just can't remember to hit the button every time :)

ac
 
Top